[ExI] Conscientious objections

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 12:25:57 UTC 2012

On 14 November 2012 09:14, Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:

> How is voting "effective action"? You must know that it is, in fact,
> completely ineffective. To pretend that it is effective as more than an
> (invisible) act of signaling, you have to make some extreme assumptions
> (the race depends on the outcome in one state, and that outcome depends on
> YOUR vote).
> There are many kinds of (much more effective) action than voting.

I am inclined to agree. However, not voting does not represent an "action"
either. All in all, the most plausible argument against voting is that the
(minimal) time involved could be put at better use.

In fact, I have the soul-saving habit of doing at least a little something
during the election days when I am not voting that qualifies as "action"
for me, to the simbolic effect that the time spared is not owed, nor
devoted, to an indulgence to fundamental laziness... :-)

--
Stefano Vaj