[ExI] Conscientious objections

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 21:09:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 4:41 AM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> There is also the question what you are objecting to. The candidates, the
> current political system, the constitution, the concept of liberal
> democracy? Not voting is itself not telling much: it is better to explain to
> people what you think is wrong - that way an open society can start figuring
> out what to do about it (if anything).

I'm objecting to further removal of choice that this represents:
http://triblive.com/news/2950414-74/turnpike-toll-electronic-pennsylvania-zpass-cash-move-pay-tolls-agency#axzz2CDzC8rR2

I understand EZpass is great (for those who think so). I also
understand that those who think it's great want to force it on
everyone else and that objection is met with a strong suggestions to
"get with the program" or to update your world-view to make life
easier on everyone.  I protest that this makes life easier only for
the already-too-big government; everyone else has burden-of-proof that
license-plate photos are an accurate way to establish billing.

A similar "convenience" is the grocery store self-checkout.  The store
saves payroll by eliminating register operators (who have
muscle-memory for scanning UPC and system knowledge orders of
magnitude beyond my own)  They can claim there are 10 lanes open so I
never have to wait - but instead I have to do all the work.  Where is
the value in this proposition?  None to me, all to the store.  It has
negative value to the three out of four cashiers who lose their jobs.

But you know as long as the majority of cattle continue up the ramp
the non-consenting minority are of little consequence.