[ExI] social reprogramming

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Nov 14 13:40:08 UTC 2012

On 14/11/2012 13:18, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> Moreover, behaviourist training strategies, once more at least
> depicted in US movies, actually appear to aim deliberately at the
> development of a sort of controlled sociopathy.

The problem is of course that the military is no longer mainly about
killing. Most strategists I have talked to are very clear on that (and
typically sigh that leaders in the US military happily repeat the phrase
without getting it). A peacekeeping or even occupying mission is all
about psychology and sociology, and very little about shooting.
Sociopaths are worse than useless for that. Being able to threaten to
kill is important, but it is not really where the expected bulk of use is.

Similar to Walmart, the real future of military forces might be in their
mastery of logistics. But I doubt any general will publicly admit it.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute