[ExI] Life @ Playstation

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 22:53:36 UTC 2012

On 4 November 2012 18:04, Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> wrote:

> You mean this table?
> http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats

By now, the more or less 300 Tflops traditionally contributed by the
Windows and Linux CPU communities each are down to 177 and 70
respectively, GPUs are also not doing too well, and the overall number of
Tflops is 3677, which is little more than *one third* of what was achieved
in the past, and that in spite of the growing power of contributors'
processors and the time GPU clients have been available!

Not exactly an exponential growth, in my book, in spite of Mr Pande's
conferences about exaflops Real Soon Now.

So, even some 200,000 processors are still on board worldwide (out of 8,5
millions who participated in time to the project), I am concerned that
Folding at Home might be... just folding, after all.

Besides the loss for science, this of course tells us more on societal
values and what really expects us than the raw power expected from a single
Chinese supercomputer to come.

--
Stefano Vaj