[ExI] riots again

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:49:19 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wanting Western Civilization to continue is selfish, so what?

So I am selfish and proud of it and I want my government to be selfish too
because I selfishly like civilization.

> It's easier to talk about "humanitarian" philosophy when every other
> basic (and not-so-basic) needs are fulfilled.

Absolutely true! The only ones who say money is not important are the rich.

> > I believe no oil would force Western Civilization to scale back from the
> level to which we have all become accustomed.

I don't want to scale back. In general since the renaissance every
generation has had a better life than the one preceding it, the one big
exception was in the mid 20'th century particularly in Europe. It would
suck if that were repeated.

> >  But even a reduced level of excess would still be recognized as
> "western civilization"

Excess is good, I want excessive excess!  Extropians are all about excess,
how are we going to get sky hooks, Jupiter Brains and immortality without
excess?

> I don't think it's much of a mystery why we'd like those possessing
> alternate ideology to be "subdued" - they have what we want and they don't
> want to give it to us.

They haven't given anything to the west nor have we demanded they do so,
they've sold it; and they've become fabulously rich corrupt stupid and lazy
as a result, just look at the ruling family of Saudi Arabia.

 John K Clark