[ExI] Consequentialist world improvement

Tomaz Kristan protokol2020 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 07:48:29 UTC 2012

Anders Sandberg said:

> More seriously, Charlie makes a good point: if we want to make the world
better, it might be worth prioritizing fixing the stuff that makes it worse
according to the damage it actually makes.

No, it is not good enough. Not wide enough. You should calculate also with
the stuff which currently doesn't do much damage, but it would, if it has a
chance.

You can't say - well, nobody died of an invading army from abroad for last
few decades. We, as a country or a pact, don't need an expensive army at
all.

Or polio. Nobody actually got it, why bother?

This line of reasoning is not very wise, sorry.