[ExI] Transhuman

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Thu Sep 6 14:57:06 UTC 2012

I tend to lean in the direction of what Charlie Stross is writing. There are
many avatars that have all sorts of appendages for fun or for effect, but
that does not make them beautiful. As far as SL, I spend time there but the
aesthetics of Elif Ayiter, brilliant SL avatar designer, reflects "beauty"
based on a combined sense of proportion, shape and color.  She also includes
narrative to her virtual personas, which introduces psychology of design and
touches on our emotional reaction to or away from visual experiences.

Notions of beauty are located in the domain of design and fine art.
Mathematics certainly has its interpretation of beauty, but it really is an
element of design. And, further, when considering what is transhuman from a
sense of social and economic terms, the locus of beauty is still design.

A book came out a few years ago titled 100,000 Years of Beauty. I have it on
my coffee table:
http://www.amazon.com/100-Years-Beauty-Elizabeth-Azoulay/dp/207012844X

Natasha Vita-More, PhD