[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 07:53:18 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> ### There is increasing amount of data pointing towards a Goldilocks
> Earth - that we are located in a very narrow slice of time and space
> that favors the development of life. Stars are not enough for life,
> you also need heavier elements, which are dispersed by nova
> explosions, so the first few star generations didn't have enough
> metallicity to form planetary systems. You need a sufficiently low
> frequency of gamma ray bursts, enough distance from the central black
> hole, for multicellular life conditions have to remain stable for
> hundreds of millions of years, all that makes it quite unlikely we are
> latecomers.

It is correct that heavy metal planetary systems didn't start to form
until Type I stars were created.  The Type III stars were first,
became super-novas (and disappeared) and created Type II stars, which
in turn led to Type I stars like our sun. But there are many Type I
stars older than our Sun. Most planetary systems are billions of years
older than ours.

Given the size of the Universe, it is most unlikely that we are the
first or only life. But it's possible.
I think it is pretty far down the list but that is still one possible
Fermi solution. We are the first.

BillK