[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 16:00:42 UTC 2012

On 9 September 2012 00:19, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com>wrote:

> ### There is increasing amount of data pointing towards a Goldilocks
> Earth - that we are located in a very narrow slice of time and space
> that favors the development of life.

The general idea, however, remains for me the fact that whatever large
number the statistical frequency of earth-like planets may deliver, the
space of all possible "computations" is even larger, so making our view of
"intelligence" simply too parochial, as if it were defined by the ability
to speak English, and we were surprised not to find anybody anywhere in the
universe doing just that.

Conversely, as A New Kind of Science points out, there are very complex
computations performed by systems that have nothing to do with carbon-based
planetary organisms breast-feeding their offspring, so perhaps the
Goldilocks parameters are not required for any significant purpose.

--
Stefano Vaj