[ExI] ethics vs intelligence

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Sep 12 12:01:44 UTC 2012

On 11/09/2012 21:13, spike wrote:
> Come on extro-ethics hipsters,
> think hard, suggest the right answers, and while you are at it, do again
> make the case that ethical behavior and intelligence are related please?
There is a link *in humans* between smarts and having a lower discount
rate: you value the far future more if you can foresee consequences
better. Smarter people also are better at cooperating in prisoner's
dilemma situations since they can figure out the value of cooperation.
But as we have been arguing from our horizon, this is no guarantee that
super-smart systems will be nice.

http://www.nickbostrom.com/superintelligentwill.pdf
http://lesswrong.com/lw/cej/general_purpose_intelligence_arguing_the/
http://philosophicaldisquisitions.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/bostrom-on-superintelligence-and.html

> Heh. All ethical dilemmas seem to pale in comparison to those
> presented to the families of Alzheimer's patients. For instance,
> imagine an AD patient who seems partially OK some mornings for the
> most part, but nearly every afternoon and evening tends to grow more
> and more agitated, confused, lost, terrified, angry, worried,
> combative, clearly not enjoying life. But the patient sometimes has a
> good day, and on those occasions clearly states a preference to stay
> in their own home until there is nothing left of the brain. When is it
> time to check the patient into elder care? Easy, right? OK what if the
> patient's spouse is doing something wrong in the medication, such as
> giving the patient large doses of useless vitamins, on pure faith
> since Paul Harvey said they are good for this or that? What if you
> come to suspect the patient is receiving sleep aids in the middle of
> the day, and the rest of the family doesn't know? What is the right
> thing to do there? Ignore one's own suspicion and go along, knowing
> that if a patient is suffering, well hell, it isn't suffering to be
> asleep, ja? Apparently AD doesn't hurt in the sense that it causes
> pain, so it doesn't keep one awake as something like arthritis would,
> but the suffering is real. If a spouse decided the person is better
> off sleeping most of the time, is it appropriate to second-guess that
> spouse?

If I were to pretend to be a proper practical ethicist I would reason
somewhat like this: There are some moral principles that are fairly
robust, they emerge almost no matter what normal ethical system you use.
In medicine the "classic" list is
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_ethics#cite_note-7>

  * Respect for autonomy
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomy#Medicine> - the patient has
    the right to refuse or choose their treatment. (/Voluntas aegroti
    suprema lex/.)
  * Beneficence <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beneficence_%28ethics%29>
    - a practitioner should act in the best interest of the patient.
    (/Salus aegroti suprema lex/.)
  * Non-maleficence - "first, do no harm" (/primum non nocere
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primum_non_nocere>/).
  * Justice <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_%28ethics%29> -
    concerns the distribution of scarce health resources, and the
    decision of who gets what treatment (fairness and equality).

And then people often like to add respect for the person (sometimes
solemnly dressed up as human dignity) and truthfulness as other key values.

Now, AD is bad for autonomy. Not all decisions are made in a rational
way or using all available facts - but as you say, it varies from day to
day. So clearly one needs to listen to what the patient wants. But
sometimes the beneficience principle gets stronger weight. And when in
doubt, one needs to be careful not to do harm.

Note that AD doesn't break up personal identity. Sure, memory is being
lost and personality changes, but it is not as if the person is a
sequence of independent identities. Hence earlier sensible decisions
about one's future still hold moral weight and should be respected: if
they want to stay at home as long as possible, fine. (That might of
course be limited by the rights and considerations of the family: one
should not follow all commands of a sick family member, no matter how
loved. Other family members also need to have lives!)

The vitamin pills are likely not harmful (unless they are very
expensive), so if that keeps the spouse happy that they are doing
something or even provides placebo, there is little harm there. One
might quibble about whether accepting one near-superstition opens up for
other, more harmful remedies or bad epistemic practices, but it seems to
be relatively minor.

The sleep aids, now that is different. That seems to break the autonomy
principle rather badly, even if it is for the good of the patient. And
if they are given secretly, then there are issues both with truthfulness
and risk: some sleep aids might interact with other medications. It
would be much better to discuss this with the patient when they are
lucid and get them to explain what they want. This might be harder than
it seems, because over time paranoia and other personality changes might
make them want something different, at which point hard decisions about
whether they are still capable enough to overrule past decisions come
in. And talking it over with the spouse is of course hard in itself
(still, one should not underestimate the burden of keeping things secret
from one's own family).

In this case I think the principles do a bit of useful work, but
obviously far more hinges on being a sensible person who can manage to
talk about hard things in a sad situation.

Armchair ethicists might of course suggest more radical things (the
Kantian: lying is *always* wrong! the utilitarian: maximize happiness,
go for the sedatives and happy pills! the contractarian: follow whatever
rules the AMA has published!) but for some reason they are not very
common in real moral situations (no meta-ethicist in a foxhole?)

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute