[ExI] ethics vs intelligence

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 13:27:23 UTC 2012

On 12 September 2012 14:01, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

>  If I were to pretend to be a proper practical ethicist I would reason
> somewhat like this: There are some moral principles that are fairly robust,
> they emerge almost no matter what normal ethical system you use. In
> medicine the "classic" list is
>  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_ethics#cite_note-7>
>
>    - Respect for autonomy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomy#Medicine>- the patient has the right to refuse or choose their treatment. (
>    *Voluntas aegroti suprema lex*.)
>    - Beneficence <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beneficence_%28ethics%29>- a practitioner should act in the best interest of the patient. (
>    *Salus aegroti suprema lex*.)
>    - Non-maleficence - "first, do no harm" (*primum non nocere<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primum_non_nocere>
>    *).
>    - Justice <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_%28ethics%29> -
>    concerns the distribution of scarce health resources, and the decision of
>    who gets what treatment (fairness and equality).
>
> And then people often like to add respect for the person (sometimes
> solemnly dressed up as human dignity) and truthfulness as other key values.

Hey, this is a good example of how moral philosophies (your and mine) that
I suspect to be fairly different, can converge in very similar moral
principles in a given field. And this, irrespective of the - irrelevant -
degree of your and mine actual compliance with those principles (ie, our
personal "morality").

--
Stefano Vaj