[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 17:22:09 UTC 2012

On 13 September 2012 21:23, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
> Wolfram's principle is cool for thinking about Tegmark level 4 universes
and
> the problems of defining life and computation, but it does not give us
much
> practical help. The fact that small parts of nearly any complex system
(when
> placed in peculiar states) can emulate small parts of nearly any other
> complex system is interesting, but not useful for much. We need to
engineer
> systems to become good at computation (large parts of them can emulate
large
> parts of other systems) if we want actual results.

Absolutely.

But the relevance of Wolfram's principle is another one, IMHO: as I discuss
in one of the very few articles of mine on H+ techs translated in
English<http://www.divenire.org/articolo_versione.asp?id=1>,
we may well find out that the development of anthropomorphic AIs is
impractical, and that unless they become (almost?) indistinguishable from
organic brains they may end up being arbitrary orders of magnitude less
efficient than the original things; but what the principle excludes is that
they be in principle "impossible" because brains would perform computations
somewhat radically different from any other.

--
Stefano Vaj