[ExI] Nice Article on Brain Preservation

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 15:24:37 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 2:01 AM, Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:

> There is rather a lot of silly stuff being written on this topic. Aschwin
> de Wolf and I are currently writing a detail analysis of plastic or resin
> embedding [...] We aim to finish our article within a week or so.

Max, I look forward to reading that article very much.

> They also don't seem to understand that it gives you fewer revival
> options than does cryopreservation.

To my mind the superior procedure is whichever one preserves the most
information. I note that when scientists try to find the connectome of the
human brain they slice up a plastic embedded brain into extraordinarily
thin strips and then photograph them at a microscopic level; the
interesting thing is that they use a plastic embedded brain not a frozen
brain. I also like the fact that you don't need a elaborate support
structure to keep things frozen for who knows how many years.

> Writers who think this approach is much cheaper have no idea what they
> are talking about.

All that slicing and photographing would certainly be very expensive, but
that is only a concern when you're trying to revive somebody and by then
they'll have full blown Nanotechnology. Is just embedding the brain in
plastic really that expensive, more expensive than freezing it?

  John K Clark