[ExI] riots again

Joshua Job nanite1018 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 01:05:21 UTC 2012

I absolutely believe religion will disappear in the future as a direct
consequence of technology.

When Death has been vanquished,  poverty and scarcity are foreign
concepts,  and we live in a world where the real world is almost as easily
changeable as the digital world thanks to full molecular nanotechnology,
the things which drive the religious instinct will have been destroyed by
the march of science.

Even our ignorance, the room reserved through our ignorance will have been
eliminated. When we can back up minds in computers,  share memories and
experiences directly through technology,  and can achieve all the miracles
of the religions through science,  whither the God of the gaps?  Immaterial
souls are an untenable proposition in a world of uploads,  brain-machine
interfaces,  and artificial persons.

Religion is born from terror at the prospect of Death (and through it the
unknown).  When death is gone and and science has explained the mystery of
the functioning of life and mind,  there won't be anything left to drive
it. We will no longer fear the unknown,  and so rather than invent
explanations,  we'll search for them.  We will still have feelings of awe
and reverence at the Universe,  but we won't cower or beg for help from
more powerful beings.  We'll be the gods we used to pray to, and will have
grown fully confident in our ability to understand reality and bend it to
suit us.

I don't see any other way to explain the psychological root of belief in
the supernatural,  and I think I'm backed up by the drop in religiosity
with rising wealth and health.
--Joshua Job.