[ExI] Why not ask the Engineers?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Sep 26 09:15:54 UTC 2012

On 26/09/2012 09:44, Keith Henson wrote:
> Take sea ice melting in the Arctic.
>
>   One solution, which might work, is vast numbers of floating thermal
> diodes.

A very neat idea, and it is an important feedback we should try to keep
under control. Of course millions of devices costing between ten and a
hundred bucks each will be a rather expensive project. Not to mention
the problem of them drifting south and the damage done when they
occasionally break.

I wonder if these diodes could be used to boost glacier water storage.
That is in many ways more important than floating ice, since much of the
world relies on glacier-originating water.

What is the temperature differentials they can maintain?

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute