[ExI] Why not ask the Engineers?

Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 29 20:41:25 UTC 2012

Keith asked "Why not ask the Engineers?"
The sad answer is that most people probably have no idea what an engineering frame of mind is, or what benefits it offers, or what makes it different from asking the scientists.
There's a joke doing the rounds on facebook courtesy of a page called "I fucking love science" https://www.facebook.com/IFeakingLoveScience (which also has a child-friendly version, ScienceIsSeriouslyAwesome), where a scientist asks someone next to a huge device "what mad hypothesis are you testing? Or are you just making mad observations? Please tell me you're leaving half the planet alive as a mad control group!" with the caption "Sad truth: most 'mad scientists' are actually just mad engingeers"

Tom