[ExI] Bitcoin

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 22:53:34 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:

> Il 03/04/2013 22:50, Adrian Tymes ha scritto:
> > I'd noticed that too.  I've been advised to hold off, since the
> > spike is just over the past few months.  There are many
> > tales of commodities that experienced such a price spike,
> > then crashed back down unpredictably - often much faster.
>
> Do people used these commodities to send, anonymously, in few minutes, 4
> millions US$ of value to someone else?

In some cases, yes.  Gold is a commodity, for example.  And
doubtless this happened with some of the dot coms a bit over a
decade ago.  (Maybe not perfectly anonymously, but certainly
harder to trace than a simple bank transfer.)

But more importantly, this is irrelevant.  All such commodities
had some reason they were valuable; otherwise, they would not
have experienced any rise in price.  And yet they still had this
sort of volatility, at least from time to time.

True, lasting value rarely comes from an existing commodity
suddenly becoming more expensive.  OTOH, anyone who
makes a valuable commodity permanently less expensive is
often rewarded for their labor.  Aluminum comes to mind here.