[ExI] local crisis

spike spike at rainier66.com
Sat Apr 20 02:23:54 UTC 2013

Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Subject: Re: [ExI] local crisis

>.My advice: let her be.  Or if you're too concerned
for her safety to let it go, tell the police all the
information you have - in particular, name the
witnesses - and let them handle it, then back off.

That's what I did.  However, just as I expected, the story is leaking out
like a furious blast from a fire hose.

>.This is one high school kid bullying another.

Hmmm, well actually it is one high school kid bullying at least two others,
one of which spoke up and at least one which did not.

>.That happens all the time; even death threats

aren't front page national news.

This one has a special quality.  Apparently the principal tried to squelch
the story and excuse the kid because he is a recent immigrant from a place
where abuse of women is generally tolerated (both known victims are female.)

I intentionally did not offer all the details, for I agree with the
following comment:

>.- and ironically could put the girl in
even more danger, from previously uninvolved
teens desperate for attention.

So I didn't do anything more.  There are enough who know of it now,
firsthand witnesses, I predict this story will make the national level
before the moon is full.

>.  Further, even
if this did show up in the media as you are
imagining, it would be disproportionate
retribution.

Hmmm, ja, but the term retribution would apply only if the victims
themselves are doing anything to promote the story, which they are not.  The
reason I expect this story to be broadcast widely is that it carries so much
emotional currency that news agencies so desperately crave.  The news
agencies are not seeking retribution, but they damn sure are eager to seek
news copy that can sell ad space.

We have seen several recent cases of innocent elementary school children
suffering severe punishment for things like chewing a pop tart into a shape
that vaguely resembled a gun, a child in big trouble for drawing a picture
of a gun, a child suspended for bringing a gun- shaped bubble maker to
school, a child in deep trouble for having a piece of paper shaped in the
letter L.  But now a recent immigrant from Egypt makes an explicit death
threat, with witnesses whose stories match, specifically stating he has a
gun and intends to use it with fatal consequences, and somehow he gets a
pass?

Absolutely regardless of what the victims do or do not, this story has legs.