[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 24 05:41:00 UTC 2013

spike,

>Gordon, you are among friends here.  Many of us here disagree with your notion that consciousness can never be simmed on a digital computer, but even with that, you are among impressive company with that notion.  Penrose makes the same case in The Emperor’s New Mind.  I disagreed with that book when it came out over 20 yrs ago, and still do: I don’t think he ever reeled in that fish.  In any case, don’t go away; even if someone calls you a troll, you are among friends here<

Thank you very much, spike! Back then, I took my ideas about the philosophy of mind to a philosophy forum where there was no predisposition to believe in such things as uploading. I spent perhaps a year debating this subject, mostly with acolytes of Daniel Dennett.

I remain convinced that digital simulations can never have consciousness, and that strong (conscious) AI and uploading is impossible on digital computers.

To John Clark's point: yes it is true that nature has built these machines that have consciousness, you and I being among them, but I think these machines that we call humans are not akin to digital computers.

-Gordon