[ExI] Digital Consciousness

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 29 19:24:22 UTC 2013

Gordon <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think all this talk about qualia is pretty pointless when you finally realize that as far as we know, only organic brains, or synthetic organic brains, are possibly able to make them. How do we?synthesize?the?biological?processes?of a brain? That is the question. I don't think it will happen with microchips or digital computers. It's probably way harder than that.

So how do we produce stunningly accurate models of chemical interactions, or fluid dynamics, or as Spike pointed out, the exact flight path of a rocket over millions of miles and many months?

With digital computers, that's how.  Even though chemical interactions, fluid dynamics and rocket trajectories are /not digital/!

> We need to understand the brain before we can hope to duplicate one. It's pretty naive, I think, to suppose that we can create one even before we know how they work.?

I must remember to tell my 7-year-old nephew how terribly naive it is of him to build paper aeroplanes without knowing a thing about aerodynamics.

Ben Zaiboc