[ExI] Fukushima now officially an emergency

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Aug 6 19:39:54 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 11:19:22PM +0100, Anders Sandberg wrote:

> This indeterminism and invisibility really messes with our ability
> to intuitively think about risk, and people fall back to innate
> heuristics of purity, contagious evil and taboo. Which are pretty
> lousy ways of trying to run a modern infrastructure. There is no way

Here's a simple heuristic: is Fukushima back online? What are the
cleanup costs? What is the ROI and EROI and sustainability?

It is always useful to reconsider these whenever the discussion
is reduced to just the simple risks of radioisotopes in the
environment. Which are really not the droids we're looking
for.