[ExI] Fukushima now officially an emergency

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 19:54:26 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Here's a simple heuristic: is Fukushima back online? What are the
> cleanup costs? What is the ROI and EROI and sustainability?
>
> It is always useful to reconsider these whenever the discussion
> is reduced to just the simple risks of radioisotopes in the
> environment. Which are really not the droids we're looking
> for.

Cleanup costs??? It appears that the realization is dawning that they
can't clean it up at all - not in our lifetime.

The public won't be told until they have no choice and information
gradually trickles out. But worst case is waiting centuries for the
mess to gradually cool down, all the while spreading radioactive
contamination through groundwater and ocean.

BillK