[ExI] speed of light at the speed of light

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 19:38:22 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

>  Yes, the symbolic meaning of "0.9999..." corresponds to the real number
> 1. It if one of the less well known facts that the number system we use
> actually has non-unique number representations. Causes no end of internet
> debates.

It's funny how people freak out over that too.  However, 2^3 and 2*2*2 and
2+2+2+2 are all perfectly obvious ways to write 8.  But wait... how can 8
be represented by two numbers, three numbers, and four numbers?!?  because:
Math.  :)

I'm happier with relativity being a best-so-far explanation* that seems to
work well-enough for the people who use it.  However, it doesn't help much
for driving to the grocery store & buying nutritious food on which to
live.... unless you're one of the few who get paid to think about / use
relativity "for a living."

* even if it's actually very good, time will tell if better exists.
 Geocentric cosmology was good-enough for a long time too.