[ExI] The Pace of Technology Adoption is Speeding Up

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Dec 2 12:22:11 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-02 11:14, BillK wrote:
> I would add in a utility function for the value of your own time. I
> find even the old land-line phones irritating, because the ring says
> 'Stop doing whatever it is you're working on and talk to me - My call
> is more important!'.

Sure. You have to choose your technology and not let it choose you. This
is why many doctors still use pagers, and why I have decided against
most social media. Email is great for me because it is asynchronous,
semi-permanent, "cold" in McLuhan's terminology and allows you to
formulate thoughts in a structured manner.

A surprising number of people just use whatever tech everybody else is
using without checking whether it actually fits their lifestyle and
cognitive style.

The real challenge is of course when you need to collaborate with
somebody else with a different style. This is where it pays off actually
understanding what works and doesn't work for you, and being able to
explain it.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute