[ExI] The Pace of Technology Adoption is Speeding Up

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Dec 2 15:29:31 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: [ExI] The Pace of Technology Adoption is Speeding Up

On 2013-12-02 11:14, BillK wrote:
>>... I would add in a utility function for the value of your own time. I
> find even the old land-line phones irritating, because the ring says
> 'Stop doing whatever it is you're working on and talk to me - My call
> is more important!'.

>...Sure. You have to choose your technology and not let it choose you. This
is why many doctors still use pagers, and why I have decided against most
social media. Email is great for me because it is asynchronous,
semi-permanent, "cold" in McLuhan's terminology and allows you to formulate
thoughts in a structured manner.

>...A surprising number of people just use whatever tech everybody else is
using without checking whether it actually fits their lifestyle and
cognitive style.

>...The real challenge is of course when you need to collaborate with
somebody else with a different style. This is where it pays off actually
understanding what works and doesn't work for you, and being able to explain
it.
--
Dr Anders Sandberg

Thanks Anders, this is the best short commentary that sums up why I have
eschewed Facebook and texting.  Neither of those media are conducive to the
kinds of processes going on in my head, even if they have their uses.