[ExI] The Pace of Technology Adoption is Speeding Up

Mark Walker markalanwalker at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 17:23:15 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 5:22 AM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> On 2013-12-02 11:14, BillK wrote:
>
>> I would add in a utility function for the value of your own time. I find
>> even the old land-line phones irritating, because the ring says 'Stop doing
>> whatever it is you're working on and talk to me - My call is more
>> important!'.
>>

> Sure. You have to choose your technology and not let it choose you. This
> is why many doctors still use pagers, and why I have decided against most
> social media. Email is great for me because it is asynchronous,
> semi-permanent, "cold" in McLuhan's terminology and allows you to formulate
> thoughts in a structured manner.
>
> A surprising number of people just use whatever tech everybody else is
> using without checking whether it actually fits their lifestyle and
> cognitive style.

There is implicit in this a three party relationship: you, the technology
and the expectations of others. I use Facebook and texting, but only very
occasionally. The trick to make them useful is to train other people. If
someone says, "Did you see what I posted on Facebook yesterday?", I'll say:
"No, but perhaps in three months when I am on Facebook again". Quickly they
stop asking.  Although I am rarely on Facebook, I do find it convenient for
certain things.

Similarly with texting: I send one or two texts per week on average. I've
trained those that I know to text me only if it is very, very important. I
simply ignore non urgent texts and block repeat offenders. When I use it,
it can be pretty handy, e.g., sending or receiving instructions/directions
etc.  My kids send literally hundreds per day to their friends. For me this
would be slavery. I hate the "Whuz up?" texting.

If only we could build into the technology our preferences for how other
people use it to communicate with us. I would love something that would
send a 15-amp electrical shock to the cellphones of people who violate my
texting rule. I'm confident that this would be an effective teaching tool.
I wonder what sort of danger pay telemarketers would receive if this
technology were available.

Dr. Mark Walker
Richard L. Hedden Chair of Advanced Philosophical Studies
Department of Philosophy
New Mexico State University
P.O. Box 30001, MSC 3B
Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001