[ExI] note from 23andme

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Dec 7 16:42:10 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of BillK
Subject: Re: [ExI] note from 23andme

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 5:25 AM, spike wrote:
> Hey check this:
> Comments?
>
>>... Dear 23andMe Customers,
>
>>... I'm writing to update you on our conversation with the U.S. Food and
Drug Administration and how it impacts you.

>...And now they are being sued.
<http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/12/23andme-bows-to-fda-drops-all-medica
l-information-from-new-tests/>

Quote:
>>...23andMe bows to FDA, drops all medical information from new tests
Company had already pulled ads, and now it faces a class-action lawsuit.

------------

>...(Of course, in sue-happy USA that doesn't necessarily mean the action
has much chance of success. But 23andMe is well-financed and the
complainants may be hoping to get paid a lot of money just to go
away)...BillK

BillK, the irony in all this is astonishing.  If you look over what 23
promised, I see nothing in there all that outrageous or overly ambitious.
For what little 23's willing customers paid and considering all that 23
delivered, one seldom sees such a bargain.  I am thinking back a decade or
two and can think of nothing in its class for value, nothing.  Now 23 is
being sued.  If businesses are held to such high standards for what they can
claim and what they can advertise, why not the government?

Compare that to politicians please.  They are perfectly free to promise
whatever they want, regardless of how unbelievable and outrageous.  They get
elected on the basis of these promises, then when it is discovered they are
lying, there is nothing analogous to a lawsuit any company would face for
false advertising.  Recalls are seldom used, and impeachment doesn't apply
to that situation.  The ACA was sold to the American voters under blatantly
false pretenses, clearly false advertising, no ambiguity at all.  We were
told we could keep our current insurance if we wished, but many plans are
not compliant so we don't get to keep those.  Our own elected government
lied repeatedly, period end of story.  Yet the same government which
perpetrated that fraud goes after the private business which delivered
plenty on what it was selling for a very low price with very modest claims.

Oy vey.