[ExI] how to tame hurricanes

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Dec 16 00:49:44 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: [ExI] how to tame hurricanes

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>.Regarding that garbage island, I had some ideas on how to deal with that,
but I am having my doubts now.I sometimes get a vague feeling that whole
trash island notion is exaggerated.

>.I've never seen a baby pigeon either but I suspect they do exist.  :p

Me lad, you should experience the subtle pleasures of bird watching.  It
isn't fun like racing motorcycles, but it has its rewards for those who have
patience and inner serenity.

>.Surely not ALL those google images for "garbage gyre" are fake.

Agreed.  The pictures I see are when garbage piles up on the beach.  I saw a
comment on the web about this floating garbage patch that is in places 90 ft
thick.  OK then, if it is that thick, it also has to be wide, and if so, we
should be able to see it from 10km, the altitude of a cruising 747.  I can
see features as small as a sailboat from that high, so if this garbage patch
is 90 ft thick, I would think it would need to be at least a km diameter,
ja?  So where is a picture of it from 10km?  Or is it a bunch of smaller
patches?  The answer matters for how we would design the ship to go out
there and scoop it out for recycling, or just good old Greenpeace-style
cleanup.  I would contribute a hundred bucks to that.  I contribute that
much and more to a local trash cleanup with my cub scouts.

So if that trash island is real, it would make sense to build an incinerator
aboard a retired warship (which are practically free to anyone with a good
idea), then go out there and get it.  A local hobbyist group recently took
possession of a retired Coast Guard cutter as an example.  You can go on
satellite view, enter Carquinez Strait Martinez CA, and find some old ships
moored out in the bay.  Something like that could be repurposed for grabbing
scoops of floating plastic trash and incinerating it.