[ExI] confused trees and bees, FW: Season's Greetings from the Federation

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 20 05:59:52 UTC 2013

 <https://twitter.com/GeorgeTakei> George TakeiVerified account
‏@GeorgeTakei

Well spocken. pic.twitter.com/kZmJt6iaeA <http://t.co/kZmJt6iaeA>

 <https://twitter.com/GeorgeTakei/status/412714670496419841/photo/1/large>

Embedded image permalink

2013 was a terrible year for bees.  Perhaps 2014 will be better.  On the
first day of this year I saw hundreds of dead and dying bees, apparently
having failed to find their hive and perishing from exposure.  I saw more
dead and dying bees on the sidewalk this year than all six previous years
combined, not including that 1 January event.  Estimated total about 100.

Now my observation is the blossoms are coming earlier this year than I
recall ever seeing them open, and the bees are here as well.  In my back
yard I see the vines have blossoms already.  The solstice is Saturday
afternoon, so this is a case where spring has arrived before the autumn
officially ends.  I noticed there are more confused trees this year than
just my citrus trees in back.  I see evidence of early blooming and new
growth everywhere.  With current indications, there will be a riot of color
in January.

We tend to notice when bees decline, but would we notice if other bugs went
missing?  My ants are gone without a trace.  If some bug virus decimated the
ants, how would we know it had happened?  Perhaps I could talk the local
hardware store out of some information on sales of ant poison and boric
acid.