[ExI] confused trees and bees, FW: Season's Greetings from the Federation

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 14:37:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 12:59 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> We tend to notice when bees decline, but would we notice if other bugs
> went missing?  My ants are gone without a trace.  If some bug virus
> decimated the ants, how would we know it had happened?  Perhaps I could
> talk the local hardware store out of some information on sales of ant
> poison and boric acid.

Spike, you should consider contributing to the National Phenology Network, <
https://www.usanpn.org/>.
USA National Phenology Network

*What we do:* The USA-NPN developed *Nature's
Notebook*<https://www.usanpn.org/natures_notebook>,
a project focused on collecting standardized ground observations of
phenology by researchers, students and volunteers. We also foster phenology
communities of practice, and the development of tools and techniques to
support a wide range of decisions made routinely by citizens, managers,
scientists, and others, including decisions related to allergies,
wildfires, water, and conservation.

*Our mission:* The USA National Phenology Network serves science and
society by promoting broad understanding of plant and animal phenology and
its relationship with environmental change.  The Network is a consortium of
individuals and organizations that collect, share, and use phenology data,
models, and related information.

*Our vision:* The USA National Phenology Network encourages people of all
ages and backgrounds to observe and record phenology as a way to discover
and explore the nature and pace of our dynamic world. The Network makes
phenology data, models, and related information freely available to empower
scientists, resource managers, and the public in decision-making and
adapting to variable and changing climates and environments.

*How we're organized:* The efforts of the USA-NPN are organized and
directed by the staff of the National Coordinating
Office<https://www.usanpn.org/about/staff>and the 15-member Advisory
Committee <https://www.usanpn.org/about/advisory-committee>, as specified
in our Charter<http://www.usanpn.org/files/shared/files/Charter_ByLaws_8-15-11.pdf>.
The activities of the USA-NPN are funded by several organizations,
including the U.S. Geological Survey, National Park Service, The University
of Arizona and the National Science Foundation.
-Dave