[ExI] RES: RES: Movie teasers for "Transcendence" aka the Singularity

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 10:03:09 UTC 2013

As Johnny Depp (Will) is dying of radiation poisoning from the dirty
bullet, his mind is uploaded into a supercomputer.

“Will’s body is dying, but his mind is a pattern of electrical
signals. We can upload his consciousness. We can save him.”

IMDB: “Two leading computer scientists work toward their goal of
Technological Singularity, as a radical anti-technology organization
fights to prevent them from creating a world where computers can
transcend the abilities of the human brain.”

Of course, though leading scientists working on related developments
on AI and mind uploading are among the advisers, these scientific
concepts are likely to be dumbed down for a wide audience, but I hope
not too much. Of course there may be hints at negative, dystopian
interpretations, but from what I have seen the film will present a
basically positive view of AI and uploading. The star and hero Johnny
Depp is, after all, the one who wants to build AI and eventually gets
uploaded.

This is a big budget Hollywood film for a wide audience, and it will
push the concepts of technological singularity, artificial
intelligence, and mind uploading, into the cultural mainstream, much
more than hundreds of scientific articles and popular science blogs.

I can’t wait to see Transcendence.