[ExI] Google Air

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 9 14:07:52 UTC 2013

________________________________
From: James Clement <clementlawyer at gmail.com>
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2013 7:16 PM
Subject: Re: [ExI] Google Air

>David Lubkin <lubkin at unreasonable.com> wrote:
>>> <http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/02/07/san-jose-official-backs-plan-for-new-google-airport/>
>>>
>>> Why is Google pursuing its own 29-acre private airport, with a 17,000 sq.
>>> ft. terminal, 30,000 sq. ft. office & retail building, 60,000 sq. ft.
>>> hanger, etc.?
>>> It's purportedly for their executives' private jets but I suspect there's
>>> something more ambitious in mind.
>>>

>Google has rented hanger space at NASA/Ames for years, to house their private 727. Doing so meant they didn't have to wait in lines or go through Airport security. It's possible NASA changed its policy about allowing private parties to use their airfield, or they simply wanted more control over Google's comings and goings. In any case, I wouldn't read too much into it.

I would agree with your assessment, James. When Spike and I were at Moffett Field pricing their hangar space, the Ames people did name drop Google several times. The problem with using a federally funded airstrip for your private jet is that Uncle Sam knows your comings and goings and can coordinate with the IRS to make sure you pay your "fair share". Doubly so if carbon credits should ever become an issue.

Stuart LaForge

“The future starts today, not tomorrow.”- Karol Józef Wojtyla