[ExI] (NASA.gov) NASA to chronicle close Earth flyby of asteroid (fwd)

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Feb 16 13:50:23 UTC 2013

On 16/02/2013 01:59, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> Very unnerving is the realisation that despite whole NEO search, this
> thing has caught the planet pants down (or I don't know how else to
> sum this up).

Nah, this is a too small impactor to be part of spaceguard and the other
NEO programs (their cut-off is around 140 meters). This size will
typically be picked up by radar or observations during the final plunge,
if they are detected at all. As I argue in my commentary
http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk/2013/02/live-from-the-shooting-gallery-what-price-impact-safety/
looking for them is not a bad idea, but it is not a major way of
improving planetary safety.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute