[ExI] insanity plea

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Feb 18 10:48:32 UTC 2013

On 18/02/2013 02:09, spike wrote:

> During the current US debate on new gun laws, a question occurred to
> me.  Suppose we manage to pass a law which would prohibit those deemed
> mentally unstable from having a firearm.  If a crazy person was caught
> with a firearm, couldn't she just plead insanity?  If that didn't work
> and the judge declared her sane, couldn't she then plead innocent of
> owning a gun while insane?

Legal insanity is an interesting concept. It is not the same thing as
being insane in a medical or everyday sense, but that a person's mind
is/was not working in such a way that they could understand that what
they were doing was wrong. See
http://thecriminallawyer.tumblr.com/post/18951395853/excuse-defenses-part-11-excuse-me
(about halfway down) for a nice explanation. Including of why insanity
rarely works as an excuse. Conversely, it is totally possible to be too
unstable own a gun (say having severe personality disorders) and yet be
legally sane.

Hmm, being in ethics makes you doubt most commonsense definitions of
right and wrong, should it be regarded as a form of legal insanity? No:
ethicists criticise *moral* right and wrong in strange ways, but they
have little to say about legal right and wrong. That is another faculty.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute