[ExI] insanity plea

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Feb 18 14:22:09 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 2:49 AM
To: extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
Subject: Re: [ExI] insanity plea

On 18/02/2013 02:09, spike wrote:

During the current US debate on new gun laws, a question occurred to me.
Suppose we manage to pass a law which would prohibit those deemed mentally
unstable from having a firearm.  If a crazy person was caught with a
firearm, couldn't she just plead insanity?  If that didn't work and the
judge declared her sane, couldn't she then plead innocent of owning a gun
while insane?

>.Hmm, being in ethics makes you doubt most commonsense definitions of right
and wrong, should it be regarded as a form of legal insanity? No: ethicists
criticise *moral* right and wrong in strange ways, but they have little to
say about legal right and wrong. That is another faculty.

--
Anders Sandberg,

If I am caught with a firearm while insane, I will plead not guilty by
reason of sanity.