[ExI] A paranormal prediction for the next year

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 18:32:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013  Will Steinberg <steinberg.will at gmail.com> wrote:

> Your post really amounts to saying "An untestable, unexplainable human
> mental phenomenon will not have a paper on it published in a leading
> science journal"-

A untestable ANYTHING will not and should not be published in any journal
that calls itself "scientific", but I am saying that in the coming year
there will be no evidence presented that a new mental phenomenon has been
discovered that even needs a physical explanation.

> but of course that is not the sort of thing that would be published in
> one of those journals!

Don't be ridiculous, the quickest path to scientific immortality is to
discover a new phenomenon for which there is currently no explanation. The
good people at CERN have spent well over 10 billion dollars desperately
hoping to find something new and unexplained, but at least so far they have
been disappointed, in fact to their chagrin it's been almost 40 years since
a particle accelerator has found something surprising. On the other hand
telescopes have found lots of strange unexpected things in the last 40
years, and there is still no good explanation for them, but that didn't
prevent people from winning Nobel Prizes for discovering those mysteries.

> Eventually--maybe not this year, but almost certainly--a hitherto unknown
> or unexplored ability of the human mind will find mainstream scientific
> attention.

Let's make a bet! If there is a article in Science or Nature or Physical
Review Letters about something (by whatever name) in the brain or in the
mind that violates the known laws of physics before January 1 2014 I will
give you $1000 and if there is not you only have to give me $100. I don't
demand a explanation of this new phenomena just that the editors of one of
those journals thinks that there is something to explain. So do we have a
bet? I'm completely serious about this and if there is anybody else who
would like to take this bet please say so; come on, I'm giving you 10 to 1
odds. if you believe in psi it's easy money.

>  And it won't be called psi.

First it was just religion then it was spiritualism then it was ESP then it
was psi, I figure it's about time for yet another name change, but Bullshit
by any other name would stink as bad.

  John K Clark