[ExI] Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jan 25 21:26:21 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Stefano Vaj
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 10:14 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030

On 21 January 2013 05:01, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>.  I talk to teenagers whenever I get a chance, and I have noted a
remarkable
characteristic of the Y generation: as a group they don't seem to give a
damn about cars.

>.Interesting. I have almost entirely lost myself the lust for super cars.

Ja me too Stefano.  Geezer.

{8^D

>. or even super PCs for that matter.

Pal you and I are old enough to remember when PC's weren't super and weren't
powerful.  The contrast between our misspent youth and now is stunning.
Ain't life grand?  The young people present don't know our suffering, the
days of pre-gigahertz processors for instance.  They don't know how we
struggled with finding suitable partners for copulation.  They just get
online, type in their particular kinks and preferences, and BOOM, list of
available local comely lasses, ready to. um. chat online about. the kinds of
things we used to. um. well, dream about.

>.As to the copulation drive, much here has to do with status symbols and
peer admiration.

Hmmm, for you perhaps.  I was always a geek, so status symbols were useless
and wasted on me, and peer admiration was out of the question.  Life is so
much better for nerds today.  They have Gates, Wozniak and Jobs to thank for
making geek chic.

>. All this - in the West - has less and to do with hard, powerful,
real-world tech, in favour of simulacrum. -- Stefano Vaj

Final thought on that.  There are in this life some things that really are
better than sex.  I wouldn't trade my computer for it for instance.  Back in
November when I was temporarily without internet, I really suffered.  It was
only five days, but it was harder than being without sex for five weeks.  I
really missed it, and even then, the computer itself was still perfectly
functional.  So I wrote a lot of software and such, but it just wasn't the
same without a connection to the real world.  Stefano, I like that
description of yours, that hard, powerful real-world tech.  Nice adjectives!
It just sounds sexy.