[ExI] 23andme again

spike spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jul 1 03:48:39 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: [ExI] 23andme again

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 3:52 PM, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
>>... It is clear to me now what I should have pondered a bit more to
>>start with: 23andMe empowers people and governments... spike

>...Thank you for sharing your buyer's remorse... Mike

Daaaaaaaam!   It's happened again!  And this time it was an accident.

23andMe gives you a list of DNA relatives sorted by how close they are
genetically.  It also gives you a list sorted by what they call "enrichment"
which divides thru by how common is the name.

New people have been coming into 23 on a regular basis.  Yesterday a new
person showed up way high up in my list: he is my second closest relative on
23andMe, probably a third cousin, possibly second.  I went over to the
enrichment page and saw that right when he showed up, two names of which I
know are related and how they are related moved way up.  They had been in
positions 27 and 41, but yesterday they moved into positions 2 and 3.  OK,
that wasn't hard to figure out: he is related to those to names.

So last night I drop the guy a note along the lines of Hi cousin, I see you
are descended from William Yakity Yak and Mary Bla Bla.  This morning I get
a note back saying he doesn't have either of those in his family history
database which goes back four generations.

OK so do I post back and say: Ooops sorry my mistake, or do I post back and
say: Cousin, you have a major error in your genealogy, or do I post back and
say:  Pal, one of your fairly recent ancestors was apparently adopted?

My intuition says to just clam up.

At this point I would reluctantly recommend that if you don't want your life
to get crazy, don't do 23andMe.