[ExI] good news bad news for germans

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jul 1 10:59:37 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 08:30:45AM -0700, spike wrote:
> Eugen, the good news is that the German government is not tapping your phone
> calls.
>
> The bad news is.
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/u-taps-half-billion-german-phone-internet-links-093938
> 180.html

As a late first/second-gen cypherpunk and long-term student of
NSA history I continue to be amused by mainstream press reports
which take recent revelations as something a) new b) you can take
verbatim, without a giant grain of salt.

However, I welcome such opportunities to wean users from
the teat of TeH Great GooG, and cloud in general. E.g. over
at Zero State we've moved over everything to a virtual
server hosted in Iceland, and everything else to P2P
(Retroshare et al.).

The legislative has failed, cryptography so far hasn't.