[ExI] see you on Retroshare

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jul 10 17:02:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 09:47:45AM -0700, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> Where, without advertising to draw new members (at least so

If you're fond of Teletubbyland, by all means, stay entertained.

> much as being googlable), communities die a slow, stagnant

Sorry, no more Google. Needs moar YaCy.

> death.  I've seen it happen multiple times.
>
> Meanwhile, the communities who continue to exist in the open,

... are sitting ducks.

> despite the increased costs, may continue to get new members.

The opposite, you're talking about competing with free
resources. Running your own takes at least some effort.

> (Some of them at very low rates, granted.)
>
> Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to convince people of this
> until they run into it, and struggle with it for years.  Of course,

There have been no darknets in existance for years.
In fact, there won't be for another decade. I'm just
giving you an early teaser. No further invitations
will be forthcoming.

> those who insist on such moves also tend to insist that the
> world is as they believe it to be, regardless of the evidence.
> This is not useful in finding ways to improve the world that are
> more effective than wishing hard.

You'll might find that trying to improve the world in the
open will disagree with your health eventually.

> Further, in most cases the transition drives away enough
> members (who were marginally participating in the first place)
> that the community undergoes a phase change, losing any
> effectiveness it had.  The counter to this is being someone who

My anecdote is the opposite of yours.

> could assemble the community in the first place - but I'm not
> sure even Mr. More would care to rebuild the Extropians from
> scratch, given the changes the world has undergone.

This is not about resurrecting ExI.

> TL,DR: the open Internet is still alive, and prophesies which
> keep proving false won't change that.  No matter how much of
> an emotionally releasing disasterbationist fantasy they would
> be if true, hard data - not anecdotes and fear-based worries
> about possible futures - is what matters.

The hard data says you're a sitting duck. Your choice.