[ExI] see you on Retroshare

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Jul 10 17:38:57 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-10 18:47, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> Where, without advertising to draw new members (at least so
> much as being googlable), communities die a slow, stagnant
> death.  I've seen it happen multiple times.
>
> Meanwhile, the communities who continue to exist in the open,
> despite the increased costs, may continue to get new members.
> (Some of them at very low rates, granted.)

This is a general problem/feature. I argued something similar about
biometric systems: you can design something with built-in privacy and
protection against mission creep (at least in theory, to some extent),
or you can have a system that is open - you can change what it is used
for in the future, and the data can be turned to new uses. Now, which
system will grow the most? The open will find new uses, it can be
upgraded, and failures to foresee new needs will not block things. So it
will win in the end because the closed system only has the advantages
originally planned.

Open communities that can grow, change and find new sources of income or
motivation will persist. The ones that are less encumbered by built-in
restrictions will tend to thrive. That doesn't mean all the others will
go extinct, but critical mass effects (you need enough participants to
create a feedback loop of activity) will weed them out.

So I suspect it is uphill for most crypto-communities even when people
see their point. But it is not a guaranteed failure, and having a few
alternatives around is useful and might even force market leaders to be
honest to some extent (consider how linux as an alternative affected
Apple and Microsoft).

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute