[ExI] woman wants to be paraplegic

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Jul 18 09:55:32 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-18 00:02, spike wrote:
> This must be some kind of rare cyborg wish.

The body dysmorphic disorders are odd. They actually do seem to involve
that the brain representation doesn't quite fit the body. Ramachandran
et al. has a paper where they show there are some neurological
correlates, http://cbc.ucsd.edu/pdf/apotem.pdf and suggest it has to do
with some parietal-insular system. This would fit with other parietal
body dysmorphias, such as hemispatial neglect making people deny
ownership of parts of their bodies on the "wrong" side. I think there
was even a paper looking at transsexuals, finding body schemas that did
not fit their bodies. So maybe these people are simply amputees stuck
inside a complete body.

(Then there are the acrotomophilia, people who desire amputees without
wanting to be one themselves. I never understood that until I saw the
pictures of Alex Minsky... but then again, I am probably more of a
cyborgophile.)

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute