[ExI] (In)voluntary technology

spike spike at rainier66.com
Wed Jul 31 17:50:30 UTC 2013

>. On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Subject: Re: [ExI] (In)voluntary technology

>>.On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:19 AM, David Lubkin <lubkin at unreasonable.com>
wrote:

What technologies are there whose use courts have conceded isn't
"entirely voluntary," or even "isn't voluntary"?

>.Basically, stuff even the Amish use - or, especially, are compelled by law
to use.  Stuff like vaccinations for school children.

The distinction of voluntary vs involuntary brings in an answer to a
question privacy advocates were not asking.  The implication is that if
anyone uses a cell phone, the fed is justified in intercepting the signal
since the use of a cell phone is voluntary.  This is a new take on an old
question.

I urge those interested in this topic to focus on the bigger picture.  As
far as I can tell, there is nothing in the US constitution that specifically
forbids the fed from collecting the content of a phone conversation or
email, and nothing in the US constitution that specifically forbids the fed
from using the IRS to destroy anyone for any reason, including it simply
wants the assets of the victim.  The IRS is not required to present evidence
to any oversight committee.

I see nothing in the constitution that forbids the US government from
collecting email, which might contain blasphemy against for instance Joseph
Smith, and handing it over to some government where there is no freedom of
speech when it comes to blasphemy against Smith, and no serious requirement
for solid evidence that the accused perpetrated the blasphemy.  Life
sentences and even death sentences could be handed out at the whim of that
government to anyone it catches within its borders.

If we fail to see the need to check the power of every government with any
form of unchecked power, then we have failed to learn anything from the
bitter experience of Germany with tyrants.

A key observation to me is that for the first time, the US fed is loudly
asserting its right to do anything it wants, so long as it is not
specifically forbidden by the constitution.  This would include powers such
as seizing information and using the IRS as a weapon.  We can argue that the
fed had these powers for a long time.  Now it is using these powers, and
defying objectors to demonstrate how it is illegal.