[ExI] [ZS] [cryo] Nick Bostrom, Anders Sandberg, Stuart Armstrong to be frozen after death

Florent Berthet florent.berthet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 14:54:24 UTC 2013

Guys, I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm asking for answers because I want to
know how it's the best way to spend money, on an utilitarian point of view. If
our main goal is to mitigate x-risks (as explained in Bostrom's
astronomical waste argument), it would seem to me that any amount of money
would be better spent directly on research rather than on cryopreservation. The
articles says that it costs between £16,500 and £125,000 to be
cryopreserved. That could pay a researcher full time. If I had that much
money, wouldn't you prefer me to give it to the FHI rather than on my own
cryopreservation? Sure I can do whatever I want with my money, but that
doesn't mean any decision is equally good.

Again, I'm not saying it's illegal or that it shouldn't be allowed, and
there are far worse ways to spend money than cryonics (wars for example),
but coming from guys who want to do the most positive impact they can, I
find it surprising. One explanation may be that such moves can make other
people interested in these issues, which could bring in more funding. I'm
not sure that's the reason they chose that option though. That's what I'm
asking.

Giulio, if I don't buy food, I won't be able to do any long term good. The
mathematics are pretty straightforward on this one.