[ExI] [ZS] [cryo] Nick Bostrom, Anders Sandberg, Stuart Armstrong to be frozen after death

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Jun 10 19:19:47 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-10 15:54, Florent Berthet wrote:
> Guys, I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm asking for answers because I want
> to know how it's the best way to spend money, on an utilitarian point
> of view. If our main goal is to mitigate x-risks (as explained in
> Bostrom's astronomical waste argument), it would seem to me that any
> amount of money would be better spent directly on research rather than
> on cryopreservation. The articles says that it costs between £16,500
> and £125,000 to be cryopreserved. That could pay a researcher full
> time. If I had that much money, wouldn't you prefer me to give it to
> the FHI rather than on my own cryopreservation?

Well, we do not have that money either *as a lump sum*, so we pay using
life insurances. Which is about 15 quid per month for me, about one
dinner's worth. In fact, stocks and flows are very different things: the
cost of a cryopreservation is actually not enough to pay for a postdoc
for very long.

> Sure I can do whatever I want with my money, but that doesn't mean any
> decision is equally good.

Yup. I think your question might have sounded shrill, but it is a good
one. We have Peter Singer dropping by the neighbourhood from time to
time, and we share office with the effective altruists, so these issues
are on our minds.

My answer is something like this: I am a friendly, selfish guy who
doesn't follow a consistent ethical system (I just work in the
department!) I like to maximize my enjoyment long-term, and that means
that I want to extend and enhance myself, avoid dying, and avoid xrisk.
I also somewhat agree with the Parfitian view about the fragility of the
self, so I also try to ensure that a lot of the other minds in the world
get the same benefit - but I give some preference to minds like my own.
The end result of these considerations is that I

(1) spend a fairly modest amount of money for "care of the self" - nice
food, beetles, cryonics.

(2) Another fraction of my income is used for travel and other
activities linked to transhumanism, xrisk and academic pursuits -
ensuring that the right memes and research get done. Basically I am
using my salary to do more work.

(3) I am uncertain about where charity does the best good: while we have
reasonable arguments for maximizing QUALYs, it is not clear how to
compare that with (say) reducing xrisk or promoting enhancement. Hence I
think it is rational to actually save and invest money for the future
where I will have a better idea. Since I think we should not regard
temporal separation as different for spatial separation morally
speaking, helping in the future is almost as good as helping in the
present (minus issues of uncertainty and that some things affect the
amount of future - again xrisk and GCRs rear their ugly heads and likely
get extra priority this way, if we knew effective ways of reducing them
by paying).

That is roughly my approach.

One thing I like to point out to cryonics sceptics is that I have a
strong motivation to be the kind of person the future would want to have
around. And I am motivated to help ensure that the future does happen
and is reasonably nice.

(I have been interviewed about cryonics 7 times today by different BBC
channels, personal best!)

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute