[ExI] RES: UltraRope could make kilometer-high elevators possible

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 19:30:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Henrique Moraes Machado wrote:

> I read this a few days ago and got me thinking. Why do elevators have to use
> cables at all? Can't they build a maglev elevator or something? Not talking
> about the space elevator obviously, but building elevators.

Elevators are actually pretty complex devices.
They do build other types of elevators for special uses.
The reason for cables is basically economics.  A cable elevator has a
huge counterweight that goes down as the elevator goes up, so little
energy is used.

See:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator>
<http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/engines-equipment/elevator.htm>