[ExI] DNA India: The transhumanity timeline

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jun 21 06:49:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 09:03:43AM -0700, Keith Henson wrote:

> The idea actually came from Perry Metzger, I found the original
> postings on Extropy, and my contribution was to throw cold water on
> the idea from the problems with speed of light delays and the brain
> cooking in it's own waste heat.  From the speed of light, the thinking
> rate of a Jupiter brain would be ~50 times slower than a human brain.

Diameter of Jupiter is 0.46 lightseconds, spike time to
cross the brain is 1.6 ms -- 270x, if my math is right

All assuming that you're looking at a top level coherent
process, which is a red herring.

> If you want to do a lot of thinking, small dimensions, lots of power
> and plenty of cold water are needed.
>
> http://hplusmagazine.com/2012/04/12/transhumanism-and-the-human-expansion-into-space-a-conflict-with-physics/

Too many assumptions there. "Twenty million subjective years to get an answer back is just ridiculous." --
you're thinking like a human here.

"Due to this line of thinking, I no longer think it’s practical to surround a star with computronium." --
why, obviously Amerigo Vespucci and Cristobal Colon never set sail, so the colonization never happened,
so Keith Henson never happened. Since you're obviously there, there seems to be a problem with your
line of reasoning. It obviously has to do with the need to communicate with everyone else within
a given minimal time, which is a bogus requirement. Back then, the opposite site of the Earth
was as remote as the next star in terms of communication latency. Yet it still got settled.

“Just to give you a sense of what microseconds are, it takes you 500,000 microseconds just to click a
mouse. But if you’re a Wall Street algorithm and you’re fivemicroseconds behind, you’re a loser.” --
the problem with HFT is not that is fast (it is), but that it's systematically fraudulent.