[ExI] Extraterrestrial liberty and colonising the universe

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Jun 22 11:45:31 UTC 2013

On 21/06/2013 15:29, Dennis May wrote:
> Why aren't we a thousand miles deep in grasshoppers?
> A: disease, parasites, predators, cannibalism, resources to
> survive/replicate.

This applies if you have a system where evolution applies. The standard
interstellar replicator scenarios tend to use multiple local hops,
allowing many generations between the start and end point. Plenty of
chance for evolutionary drift or divergence, although artificial probes
can be equipped with error correction making any accidental diversity as
negligible as you want. Stuarts and mine scenario has two generations:
the end-state will not have had much chance to evolve (and, again, error
correction can prevent it).

The assumption that given time parasites will evolve is based on the
image that the system is free to evolve. But non-evolving replicators
getting there first can also prevent the appearance of evolving
replicators. If the first seeders didn't want to allow them, they could
do it. We might *like* the concept of evolving replicators a great deal
more than those boring non-evolving, but the latter can win against the
rest if they are programmed to be through.

...however. I have a poster at a conference in two weeks
(http://star-www.st-and.ac.uk/~ap22/setinam2013.html
<http://star-www.st-and.ac.uk/%7Eap22/setinam2013.html>) where I do a
further analysis of the stability of this kind of scenario. Basically
non-evolving probes preventing the spread of evolving parasites (that
is, other civilisations) must be vigilant and effective in order to be
an explanation of the Fermi question. I show that even when taking
anthropics into account our existence is a counter-argument, and in
addition such systems do not seem to be stable against invasion - the
only way to be truly certain nobody else can invade is to turn
everything into your kind of replicator. Hence the "deadly probe
scenario" is not a likely answer to the Fermi question.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute