[ExI] Starfield visualizations

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 10:42:30 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 1:44 AM, David Lubkin  wrote:
> What desktop software or web site can you recommend for starfield
> visualization? I want to choose a date, a location either within the
> solar system or elsewhere, see the night sky as it would appear,
> be able to check the magnitude of objects, etc.
>
> For example, looking towards the Sun on 1 Jan 3000 from Triton,
> how bright would the Earth appear and where would it seem to be
> located?

Most astronomy software is basically a planetarium for your pc. They
vary in content. Some include satellites and some have more detailed
indexes than others and some have photos of more stellar objects than
others. So if your requirements change, you may need to try different
software. There is a wide selection!

For your specific example, try Celestia.
<http://www.shatters.net/celestia/>

BillK