[ExI] Toyota i-Road - full-enclosed, tilting, electric three-wheeler

spike spike at rainier66.com
Tue Mar 5 00:27:36 UTC 2013

Subject: [ExI] Toyota i-Road - full-enclosed, tilting, electric three-wheeler

>...Looks like Toyota are going to produce Spike's futuristic electric city transport...

Hmmm, maybe.  I hope they get this to work.  I think the two-front, one rear tricycle notion is workable and ideal from the standpoint of foot room, which is problematic with one wheel forward tricycle.  What worries me about it is that it might give away one of the big and necessary advantages of downscale ape-haulers: they could be really simple and cheap.  This device looks like it would be neither.  But I will wait and see.

A 30 mile range would work fine for some applications.

>... with no need for driver or passenger to wear a helmet...  BillK

This turns out to be a huge design driver.  Many people shower before work, and don't want to put their wet heads into a helmet.  A motorcycle is very exposed.  Traditional cars make one feel like one is wearing a helmet around the entire body.  I am hoping that modern plastics and airbag tech can give us that feeling of safety of wearing a body-helmet, and also some place to stow a firearm for additional safety.